Secrets Of Notre Dame (Episode 5)
In the modern world structures dedicated to God still dominate city-skylines. But these modern architectural wonders rely upon earlier breakthroughs. Ancient engineers battled deadly collapses, financial ruin, earthquakes, fire and warfare to create amazing devotional buildings in honour of their Gods.
And building for God reached a high point in the Middle Ages when a new engineering movement emerged in Europe, changing the rules for ever. It aimed to use pioneering construction methods and architecture to create a glimpse of heaven on earth. And it led to the creation of Gothic Cathedrals, some of the most radical, beautiful and spectacular buildings ever seen.
Dozens of Gothic cathedrals across Europe still stand today; iconic buildings and the most iconic of all is Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.
10 episodesAncient Engineering - Season 1
- How Roads Changed The World (Episode 1)
- The Great Wall Of China (Episode 2)
- Secrets Of The Pyramids (Episode 3)
- Rise Of The Super Castles (Episode 4)
- Secrets Of Notre Dame (Episode 5)
- Secrets Of Angkor Wat (Episode 6)
- The Power Of Water (Episode 7)
- History’s Greatest Ships (Episode 8)
- Stone Age Secrets (Episode 9)
- The Taj Mahal And The Golden Age Of Islam (Episode 10)